Just a quick note to say how excited I am to be the keynote speaker at Streaming Tech Sweden in Stockholm on November 22, 1017. The day-long show, which is sponsored by Swedish consultancy Eyevinn Technology, will help technology managers, architects, developers, and product managers understand how to deploy key streaming technologies.
Here’s a discussion with the conference organizers, Magnus Svensson and Jonas Birme from Eyevinn Technology.
My keynote will explore the current status of codecs and where they all fit in. Three years ago, most experts projected a smooth transition from H.264 to H.265, but that was interrupted by outrageous HEVC royalties, impressive performance by VP9, and the formation of the Alliance for Open Media. With AV1 set to launch around the time of the show, streaming publishers have multiple codecs to consider, including H.264, HEVC, VP9, and AV1, not to mention others like V-Nova’s PERSEUS, Divideon’s xvc, and even RealNetwork’s RealMedia HD. I’ll try to bring some order to this chaos with the latest in cost, performance, and implementation details.
Other topics include:
- How and why to develop an in-house CDN (Fredrik Widlund from SVT presenting)
- How to build a scalable live origin setup (John Håkansson and Markus Eskola from Fastly presenting)
- Reducing delays in a broadcast network (Anders Cedronius from Net Insight presenting)
- How CMAF and other standardization efforts are enabling low-latency streaming (Akamai’s Will Law presenting)
- How to improve QoE and reduce churn with metadata (Arash Pendari from Vion Labs presenting)
- Implementing server-side dynamic ad insertion (Marcus Lindén from Bonnier Broadcasting presenting)
- Legal requirements of server-side ad insertion and programmatic buying (David Springall from Yospace and Andy Jones from Adstream presenting)
- Compressing video by quality rather than data rate (Carl Lindqvist from Bonnier Broadcasting and Johan Skaneby from Eyevinn Technology, presenting)
- AV1 and HEVC updates (Jai Krishnan from Google, and Jonatan Samuelsson from Divideon presenting)
For more information, visit the show site at https://www.streamingtech.se/
I hope to see you there.