Sign Up For Newsletter - Get Free Video Course
Jan Ozer is a trusted authority on codecs and streaming media production. Through his courses and writings, Ozer teaches streaming professionals the concepts, technologies, and skills needed to excel in their roles.
In his consulting practice, Ozer helps streaming media producers optimize the quality and compatibility of their live and VOD streams and the efficiency of their encoding and delivery ecosystems.
Streaming Media 101 – This course teaches the fundamentals and skills necessary to excel in a streaming media-related job, whether you’re producing and distributing streaming media or creating the tools, technologies, and services necessary to do so
Encoding with the AV1 Codec – Learn to efficiently produce optimized AV1 video with FFmpeg (libaom-av1), the Alliance for Open Media’s standalone aomenc encoder, Intel’s SVT-AV1, and Visionular’s Aurora1 codec. Save hours of experimentation and get it right the first time.
Computing and Using Video Quality Metrics: A Course for Encoding Professionals – This course will teach you how to choose and use video quality metrics like VMAF, SSIMPLUS, PSNR, and SSIM.
Ozer consults widely with streaming producers and developers of codecs and encoding tools. Recent projects include:
- Testing the performance of the LCEVC codec with V-Nova
- Testing the performance of new transcoders from Xilinx
- Testing the transcoding performance of NETINT encoders
- Measure the benefit of deploying HEVC, VP9, AV1, and VVC into a live encoding workflow (private client).
- Measuring the effectiveness of certain per-title encoding technologies for OTT usage (private client).
Experienced Compressionist and Trainer:
Ozer is an experienced and highly-regarded compressionist, writer, consultant, and trainer of both in-person and video online courses.
- Ozer started working with video compression in 1991 as VP of Marketing for Iterated Systems, which sold fractal-based still image and video compression.
- Ozer left Iterated to found Doceo Publishing in 1993. The company’s first product was the Video Compression Sampler, which benchmarked video compression technologies like Indeo, Cinepak, and Video1 for use on CD-ROM-based productions.
- Ozer published his first book, Video Compression for Multimedia, in 1994.
- Started writing for PC Magazine on codecs and video production in 1995; Wrote first article on RealVideo in 2007; published the PC Magazine Guide to Digital Video in 2004.
- Started writing for Streaming Media Magazine in 2010; covering codecs, encoders, and ancillary products.
- Started teaching video production courses in 2004; started producing DVD-based courses in 2010.
- Self-published Video Compression for Flash, Apple Devices, and HTML5 in 2010; Producing Streaming Video for Multiple Screen Delivery in 2013; Video encoding by the Numbers in 2016.
- Published the first course for Udemy, Video Compression for Web, Disc and PC/TV/Console Playback in 2013 (4.6 stars out of five rating, 58 reviews); the second course, Mastering the Adobe Media Encoder CC in 2014 (4.6 out of five rating, 40 reviews).
- Published Streaming Media 101 on the Streaming Learning Center (5 out of 5 star rating, 9 reviews).
The best place to research Ozer’s articles is at Muck Rack, which contains a list of all recently published articles