My wife was watching a webinar for CME and there were two physicians with such picture perfect presentation that I just had to snap the image and comment. The list of what these two did right is lengthy and instructive.
- Both practiced perfect rule-of-thirds positioning, with their eyes about 1/3 down from the top of the frame. For this reason, their eyes are almost exactly on the same level, which is what you strive for with multiple people on screen.
- Both have perfect medium closeup framing, armpits to slightly over the top of the head. For this reason, they both look about the same size, another goal.
- Both cameras are at eye level so we’re not looking up their noses.
- The backgrounds are simple and uncluttered
- Clothing is a single color and neither too bright nor too dark, avoiding excessive contrast ratio.
- The lighting is primarily top-down but still very tasteful and both images are very clear.
- Though you can’t see it in this image, the audio from both physicians was very clear and easy to understand.
The COVID-19 crisis has forced many of us to spend more time on-camera than ever before with minimal training. Setting up a professional-looking space for producing your videos and understanding basics like those discussed above can make a huge difference in the impression that you make.
Here’s a video I produced on this topic.