- Streaming production
- Streaming fundamentals
- Encoding your video
- Choosing production tools
- Distributing your video
- Video tutorials
- Peer review
Webinar: Content-Aware Encoding-Applying Lessons Learned from Netflix's Per-Title Optimization Blog Post
Webinar on Content-Aware Encoding; January 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM EST.
The ideal encoding ladder accomplishes two things-it creates great visual quality and uses the optimum amount of data, keeping audiences and finance happy at the same time. But what is the ideal encoding ladder?
At one extreme, in its post Per-Title Encode Optimization, Netflix recently blogged about how each title needs a unique encoding ladder. At the other is the one-size-fits-all recommendation in Apple Tech Note TN2224 that's clearly overkill for many types of content.
You get it-different types of content should be encoded differently. But how do you create the optimum encoding ladder (or ladders) for your content if you don't have an unlimited encoding budget and multiple PhD mathematicians on staff? Well, check out the webinar, Content-Aware Encoding: Applying Lessons Learned from Netflix's Per-Title Optimization Post, now available for free below. Produced by streaming video producer Jan Ozer (see more below), the webinar.
- Explains the procedure used by Netflix to customize the "encoding ladder" for each title
- How the new procedure increases video quality and viewer quality-of-experience, while reducing bandwidth costs on many titles
- Describes how you can use similar procedures to create your own custom encoding ladders
- Shows how to use third-party test tools like SSIMWave SQM to ensure high quality output
- Building on this analysis, the webinar presents customized encoding ladders for different types of content, including low and high motion real-world videos, simple and complex animations, screencam videos, and instructional videos consisting of PowerPoint slides and a talking head
- Shows how encoding with HEVC will impact your encoding ladders
You'll walk away knowing how to create your own customized encoding ladders, and with encoding templates for multiple kinds of content that you can immediately use to save bandwidth and improve your viewer's quality of experience.
Click here to download the handout.
About Jan Ozer:
Ozer is a leading expert on H.264 and HEVC encoding for live and on-demand production, and as contributing editor to Streaming Media Magazine, has tested most cloud, enterprise and desktop encoding tools. Skilled in video production and editing, Ozer also produces live events for streaming or on-demand and disc-based distribution. Ozer consults widely on live and on-demand streaming and encoding-related topics, including preset creation, encoder usage and optimization, webcast production, streaming workflow efficiency, and online video platform selection.